Friday, September 16, 2016

Ophelia's Revenge

 Click to view the Kickstarter campaign!

For those of you who don't know, I currently have a Kickstarter Campaign ongoing.  I'm working with my friends at Red Stylo Media on a one-shot, horror-Shakespeare mash-up titled Ophelia's Revenge.  Alex Clark (The 27 Club: A Comic Anthology) is handling the art duties, with Jan Velasquez (The Star Thief).  This is my first time collaborating with Alex and Jan, and I could not be happier with the results!

Laura Guzzo's painting that inspired it all.

The project took shape when my friend and Red Stylo Publisher, Enrica Jang, planted the seed of a story based on Laura Guzzo's magnificent cover to the Shakespeare Shaken anthology.  I have always loved Laura's painting, which conjures the feel of EC Comics and B-movie horror classics.  Her Ophelia was a beautiful and terrifying creature with a story begging to be told.  Using this image as a jumping-off point, I wrote about a jilted lover seeking vengeance against a loser ex-boyfriend.  But, as is often the case, things get out of hand, and our woman scorned conjures Ophelia--the tragic victim from Shakespeare's Hamlet.  Reborn as a swamp demon, Ophelia wreaks havoc on a Renaissance Faire, with gleefully gory results.  Ophelia's Revenge allowed me to scratch a few itches--there's a little Swamp Thing, a dash of Creep Show, and even a hint of a message about personal responsibility hidden among the blood and guts.  I am very happy with the book, and excited for it to see the light of day.

Ophelia rises! A side-by-side of Jan's colors over Alex's pencils/inks.


Unfortunately, these things take money, which is why I turned to Kickstarter.  If you can lend your support, Alex, Jan and I would greatly appreciate it.  If not, just spreading the word means a lot to us. There are plenty of cool rewards--from digital/print copies of the book, a chance to be immortalized in the comic (right before you're horribly dismembered) and even a trip to a Renaissance Faire with Alex and I.  Hopefully, my next update will be to shout about how Ophelia's Revenge has been successfully funded.  But we need all the help we can get to make that happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment